BOC: Live 76

Wed Apr 22 14:32:24 EDT 1998

>Joe's bass solo is also something that deserved to be documented.  I don't
think enough people realize just what a giant he was on bass (past tense
because I don't know if he is still playing bass).  At that point in time,
he was one of the best.

Joe was and still is one of my bass-playing inspirations.  I don't think
he plays too much bass anymore (not that he can't) - more guitar and
keyboards.  I think Joe was always a guitar player first, but got a
chance back in college to play in a band (Que Pasa) when the bass player
quit - then, obviously got another break when Andy Winters left the Stalk-
Forrest Group.  One of the reasons I think his style is distictive is
because he often approached the bass as if it were a guitar - his solo on
the Live '76 video/CD is a perfect example - there's a lot of places
where his left hand isn't really doing to much - that is, he's soloing
on one note - but his right hand (using a pick) is flying across the
string back and forth - great stuff.

John