BOC: Reverse fungus/Real World

StevenTice StevenTice at AOL.COM
Thu Apr 23 23:51:50 EDT 1998

<<  haven't yet started to skip tracks on HF, but if/when I do, I think
 'Real World' will be the first to go. I work in alternative rock
 radio, and I hate the shit. This tune is too reminiscent of Dave
 Matthews and a bunch of other crap for my tastes. The Buck vocals and
 somewhat BOC-bent are the only thing saving it at this time. Leave
 the acoustics to the 'Unplugged' set. I like my BOC electric! >>

Well, since Real World is my favorite track from Heaven Forbid, I feel called
upon here to defend it. :-)  Actually, the only complaint this listener seems
to have regarding Real World is that it's acoustic and he finds it similar to
something else he dislikes, so there's really nothing tangible to respond to.
He simply dislikes it.  And, while there's certainly nothing wrong with that,
I do object to his usage of terms.  Just because one personally dislikes
something does not necessarily make it "shit" or "crap"...  To arbitrarily
dismiss something simply on the basis that it is acoustic and one dislikes
acoustic material is rather absurd, and akin to dismissing, say,  the Symphony
Fantastique because it has violins and one dislikes violins.  In neither case
is the music "shit" or "crap" automatically for that reason.  Real World is a
fine piece of music...and one should be capable of recognizing that even if
one does not happen to enjoy that kind of music.

SET

P.S.  By the way, I agree with those who have pointed out that there are no
real dogs on this album, no songs where one groans and winces and says "What
were they THINKING?" because the song is so utterly substandard.  And, y'know,
with the exception of Imaginos, this might be the first BOC album since Secret
Treaties that achieves that...