HW: Pink Fairies & a compilation

M S Wright M.S.Wright at READING.AC.UK
Fri Apr 24 06:46:38 EDT 1998

Hi there folks,

I cannot remember if anyone gave a review of the Pink Fairies CD 'No
Picture'. And if they did was it longer than 'crap', because that sums it
up quite adequately. It is just Twink and Paul, recorded 1996/7 and is on
Twink records TWKCD8. This ought to have been enough to warn me off,
however with the track listing
People helping people, love punks, no picture, you've got a problem, going
down to the city, '67 and rokon I thought there were a couple of titles
that might be interesting. However it sounds like it was recorded by a
bassist and drummer, who might just stretch to playing rhythm guitar.
There are few lyrics, generally about 12 per song, which are sampled and
repeated in a very irritating fashion until they get bored with the whole
idea.

It is even worse than pleasure island, which at least had one track that
had musical identity.

The other thing I recently bought is a 3 CD compilation called 'The
sixties to seventies in search of space'. It claims to be 3 CDs of
psychedelia, and there are interesting things on it, but nothing new. The
HW is off the usual low qualitry live CDs, but the tracks that might
interst people on the list are:
Hawkwind - Master of the Universe
         - Welcome to the Future
         - Sonic Attack
         - Silver Machine
Robert Calvert & Amon Duul - Urban Indian
Pink Fairies - Midnight Rambler
             - Out of the pink jam
Man - The ride and the view
Daevid Allen - Stoned Innocent Frankenstein
Gong - Opium for the people

I don't know where the 2 PF tracks come from, but they sound like Twink
releases (live and rubbish), does anyone know from where they originate?

Mike w