Off: Tape Project

Keith Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Fri Apr 24 23:42:42 EDT 1998

AB says...

>I'm still undecided on the project for a couple of reasons.  I have
>maybe 200 cd's but most of these are the same artist (complete Triumph
>catalog, KX, BOC etc.) so there is little in the way of different bands
>to choose from.
>
>While everyone knows I'm nuts about KX and Sav I'm not currently
>considering either.  Flipping a coin between an all Galactic Cowboys or
>all Saigon Kick or 50/50 both, (though the styles are universes apart.)

Well, this is completely opposite of what I was planning, although I suppose
that it's really up to each person to decide what he or she wants to do.
But I was fully ready to make a compilation of single tracks from a zillion
artists in all sorts of different styles (and countries).  Of course, I've
got over 1000 CDs, more than half of which the average person on the street
would consider 'obscure.'  But maybe it would be better to reduce the number
of bands, and then put at least two tracks by each.  Maybe you can't fully
judge a band by a single song, but then so many samplers (like those from
various labels, e.g., the EBS and Delerium ones) pretty much stick to one
song per artist.  So, what would people rather have...more bands/fewer songs
or fewer bands/more songs???

Also, I wasn't planning on divulging the names of the artists on boc-l
before making my tape!  I thought Seinfeldian secrecy was the order of
business.  :)

>This leads to another question, is it fair to load up a tape that
>someone in the ring may fall in love with just to find out they can't
>get their hands on the bands material?

Sure, why not??   Create the demand, and then maybe reissues will appear.
That may sound facetious, but every little bit counts, right??

On another note, it seems as though noone's really sure how many tapes are
going to be trading hands.  Andy's ready to set up the single 1 for 1 swap
in a sort of 'Secret Santa' scenario, but then others seem to want more.  My
idea is that once the lists of songs & artists are divulged to the
recipients (via public BOC-L posting??), then maybe others who search
through these lists can contact the various people via private e-mail to
work out their own swaps.  Of course, each person would indicate somewhere
whether they were willing/interested in further trading beyond the initial
phase.  Also, perhaps some very brief description of what sort of things
were on each tape would be needed, particularly for more obscure artists.
Personally, I was planning to create six different subsegments (of roughly
15 min. each) on my tape, including 'dark' music, spacey stuff, power chord
stuff, etc.

Does that seem reasonable to anyone??

Keith H. (FAA)

ObCDs:  censored (I cannot divulge this information at this time.)

P.S.  Can anyone tell me how to buy a goddamn CD player that only has a
single tray!!  (Are there any reputable online/mail order electronics sales
in the US?)  This planned obsolescence in the electronics industry is really
pissing me off.  Maybe I should buy five of them to last me for the rest of
my life.  Why does anyone (save a DJ) need to put more than one CD into a
home player at one time??  You can only listen to one at a time, right???
(When they come up with one that holds >1,000, then maybe I'll buy one of
those and put my whole collection in there.  But until then....)