BOC: SYIB details...

StevenTice StevenTice at AOL.COM
Sat Apr 25 01:01:02 EDT 1998

<< > The music is disappointingly simple (except for the soloing).

 Could you take me gently through the time signatures, then?
 My brain just isn't up to it any more!

 There's a bit in 3, then an extra beat, then the main verse, but I suspect
 that something else slightly tricky happens too.

 - Mike Godwin >>

Yes, See You in Black is an odd mixture of simplicity and complexity.  After
the first short riff, they launch into a pattern in 11/8 (or 11/4, if you
prefer), then the verses are in alternating measures of 4/4 and 7/8, and the
chorus in straight 4/4.  The 11/8 pattern is repeated a few more times in the
song as well.  Power Underneath Despair also features alternating measures of
4/4 and 7/8, but in the chorus (and counted very slowly).

The funny thing is, BOC has almost never experimented in more complex musical
techniques like this...but, once they establish these patterns, they repeat
them mercilessly, and (for some) ad nauseum...

SET