HW: singles comp

J Strobridge eset08 at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Sat Apr 25 20:13:12 EDT 1998

Doug Pearson writes:

> on Fri, 24 Apr 1998 11:34:10 +0100, M Holmes <fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK> wrote:
>
> >reset3xKO writes:
> >
> >> 451942 HAWKWIND-SINGLE'S A'S & B'S 1970-1980 $19.95
> >> 1998 compilation on Repertoire featuring 20 of the space rock act's
> >> best from this period.
> >> Found the above posted in alt.music.spacerock availible from THe Artist's
> >> Shop... curious if there are any odd mixes etc. that are still vinyl only
> >> that may be on here? Anyone? Either way it will be a nice package knowing
> >> Reportoire.
> >
> >The Remasters series and Stasis have this covered apart from:
> >
> >D-Rider  : the edited version on the US EP in 1974
> >Damnation Alley Part II : the cut on the B side of Hassan I Sabha
> >PXR5 : the edited version on the 25 Years single
> >
> >That's about it I believe.
>
> Does this mean that 'Stasis' and the 'XISOS' remaster have different
> versions of "Silver Machine"?  (if so, which one corresponds to which
> inner-groove etching? ... I know, I should just check to Codex but I'm
> feeling lazy today.)

Both contain the straightforward version 3 (see below).
It's all becoming a bit dim and distant now but I think the A2 inner
groove numbering (which I still haven't found yet!) refers to the 1976
reproduction where very slight changes were made to the intro.

> What CD is the single version of "Psi Power" on?

(as below)   Hawklords, Spirit of the Age (Charisma), Tales from Atom
Henge, the 25 Years On 4-CD set and the singles all use Version 1 of
the track although I admit that the singles are all edited versions,
so if this album really does contain an edited single version with a
large chunk lopped out of the middle and you really, really can't
live without it.......  8-)

jill

from the Codex:

Psi Power
    1     Hawklords
    1     Spirit of the Age [Charisma Compilation]
    1     Tales From Atom Henge
    1     25 Years On [Griffin 4-CD Set]
    1 a   Psi Power/ Deathtrap 7"
    1 a   Psi Power/Psi Power US 12"
    1 a   Repeat Performance
    1 a   Psi Power/Psi Power US 7"
    1 b   Psi Power/Psi Power US 7"
 L  2     Hawkwind at Glastonbury 1981 [Cassette]
 L  3     Zones/Stonehenge CD
 L  3     Night Of The Hawk {Psychic Power}
 L  3     This is Hawkwind - Do Not Panic
 L  3     Best of Hawkwind Friends & Relations CD [Anagram]
 L  4     The Secret Tepee [Bootleg CD]

      *   1a is an edit of 1
      *   1b is an edit of 1a
      *   The US 7" contains both the long and short single edits

Silver Machine
 L  1     Orgasmatron
 L  2     Glastonbury Fayre
 L  2     Assassins of Allah LP
 L  2     Dawn of Hawkwind CD
    3     Silver Machine/ Seven by Seven 7" [1972]
    3     X In Search Of Space  [Spanish album and remastered CD only]
    3     Doremifasolatido      [Japanese album only]
    3     US  double 7" EP
    3     Silver Machine/7 by 7/Lord of Light/Born to Go German double 7" EP
    3     Silver Machine/ Seven by Seven 7" [1978]
    3     Silver Machine/ Seven by Seven 12" [1978]
    3     Silver Machine/ Seven by Seven 7" [1983]
    3     Silver Machine/ Seven by Seven 12" [1983]
    3     Silver Machine/ Urban Guerilla 7" [Dutch 1989]
    3     Stasis
    3     (The Best of) Psychedelic Warlords
    3     25 Years On [Griffin 4-CD Set]
    3 a   Roadhawks
    3 a   Silver Machine/ Urban Guerilla 7" [German 1975]
?   3 a   Silver Machine/ Seven by Seven 7" [1976]
    3 a   Silver Machine/ Seven by Seven 7" [after 1983]
 L  4     BBC Transcription Disc LP
 L  4     Space Rock from London
 L  4 a   BBC Radio - Live In Concert CD
 L  5     BBC Transcription Disc - The Brian Matthews Show
 L  5     Dawn of Hawkwind CD
 L  6     Early Daze
 L  6     Bring Me The Head Of Yuri Garagin
?L  6     Silver Machine [Legend CD]
 L  7     Live '79
 L  7     Hawkwind Anthology triple CD box set [Castle Communications]
 L  8     Timeless Paens From The Ongoing Rituals of Space [bootleg CD]
 L  9     Silver Machine/Magnu 7"
 L  9     Silver Machine/Magnu 7" motorbike shaped pic disk
 L  9     Silver Machine Live 12" EP
 L  9     Spirit of The Age ["Elite" compilation CD]
 L  9     Ironstrike
 L  9     British Tribal Music
 L  9     Castle Masters Collection
 L  9     Night Riding
 L  9     The Best and the Rest of Hawkwind
 L  9     The Early Years Live EP
 L  9     The Hawkwind Anthology Vol. I CD
 L  9     Acid Daze Vol. III CD
 L  9     The Hawkwind Collection
 L  9     Best of Hawkwind CD
 L  9     Silver Machine CD [Spectrum compilation]
 L  9     Live & Rare (Onward Flies The Bird)
 L  9     Master of the Universe [Pulse CD] {Silver Machine live}
 L  9     Silver Machine CD [Hallmark compilation]
   10     Choose Your Masques
   10     Silver Machine 10th Anniversary  7" EP [long version]
   10 a   Silver Machine 10th Anniversary  7" EP [short version]
   10 a   Choose Your Masques [CD only]
 L 11     Bristol Custom Bike Show
 L 11     Assassins of Allah LP
 L 11     Dawn of Hawkwind CD {Silver Machine/Paranoia}
 L 12     Live At Reading '86
 L 13     Travellers Aid Trust {Washing [Silver] Machine}
 L 14     Nova Drive [bootleg CD]
 L 15     The A Files [Bootleg CD]
 L 16     Love In Space

      *   Version 2 was recorded at the Roundhouse in 1972 and not at
          Glastonbury.
      *   Version 3 was mixed from version 2 at Rockfield.
      *   Version 3a was remixed from 3 for the Roadhawks album by
          overlapping the end of the Shouldn't Do That track from the
          Space Ritual encore with the start of the version 3 single.
      *   Version 4a is a remix from version 4
      *   Version 7 stops with an explosion soon after the track begins
      *   The 10th anniversary 7" EP contained both the version from the
          Choose Your Masques album, and a shorter edited version. The
          CD of Choose Your Masques had the full three tracks from the
          10th Anniversary EP and thus contained the full version twice.
          The EP was also released as a pic disk with the covers from
          Warrior On The Edge of Time and Doremifasolatido.
      *   Two versions of Silver Machine on Assassins of Allah LP and three
          versions on Dawn of Hawkwind CD

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at holyrood.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk