baltimore

Mon Apr 27 12:45:22 EDT 1998

>Again, we get back to "opinion". It's opinion whether or not the two
should be compared, and I say why not?

Well, I told you my "opinion"...

>For one thing, the argument
that there is no commonality between the two bands is incredibly
wrong (IM Not-So-Humble O). The two bands are both heavy rock bands.
They both contain extremely important members, past and present, of
BOC, and they share songwriters...including a few who were never
actually part of BOC.

The original thread had to do with comparing Heaven Forbid with tBS.  I
am sorry, but there are no ties.  Yes, you could (perhaps) compare past
BOC work with tBS since Albert was a common denominator in both - but
Heaven Forbid has no such ties (yeah, In Thee was written when Al was
still in the band, but that was a Lanier tune for one, and also I assume
it is the NEW stuff you would want to compare anyway).  And, the two no
longer share songwriters.

Sure, you can compare two heavy rock bands - BOC and Sabbath, Deep Purple
and Van Halen, Ozzy and Kiss, etc. etc. etc.  If that is your point, sure
go on and compare BOC and tBS.  My point is these are now two very distinct
bands that are going their own seperate ways - and as such should be
judged on their own merits, not on eachothers.

>Besides, if someone asked you whether you preferred beer or cake,
would you freak out and say, "No way can I compare these two
things...they are totally different and my assessment would be fair
to neither the beer nor the cake!"? No offense, but I think that's a
bit silly.

No offense taken.  But my point is, if someone gave you a beer, would you
think, "Hey, this is a good beer, but it doesn't have the sweetness of
chocolate cake..."  If you want to say, "Would you like to listen to tBS
or BOC now, well, that is another matter..."

>Brain Surgeons rock, but BOC RULES!

I love 'em both.  At the moment, I'm giving BOC much more time in the player
these days, but I'm sure that will change in the future (probably when tBS 5
hits the streets, if not before).  Musically, I like them both.  On a
sort of personal level, I will always have a special spot for BOC because
they were one of the first bands I was in to.  Yet, I've had the opportunity
to meet tBS, and see them live from about 3 feet in smoky little clubs -
something of a different experience than with BOC.  I also like the fact
that tBS has release 4 albums in the past 4 years, so I've got quite a
collection of quality stuff to listen to.  But the music, and the experiences
are quite different.  I can't say I really prefer one over the other in
general - I might prefer one today and the other tomorrow.

John