OFF: Tape Project

BREVARD, Adrian R. abrevard at SHL.COM
Mon Apr 27 16:30:34 EDT 1998

>Does it actually matter?  As long as one person is
>touched or inspired by a song or an artist then the
>project is worthwhile.  And looking at it from the other
>side (+2000 different artists in my collection) doesn't
>make the final track listing any easier.  (Especially
>now that "Saigon Kick" and "Water" have been dug out
>and fallen in love with all over again)

>Zeit

Well to some it may.  I for one do not listen to radio, watch MTV or
attend gigs every weekend.  I do not walk into the local record store
and walk out with four to five cd's of bands/artists I know nothing
about.  Most of my collection is based on known talent (70's) and some
others that have been recommended by those with similar taste or I
literally tripped over it.  Good example, my two fave new bands (weren't
around in the 70's) King's X and Savatage were both discovered in a
cut-out bin. A small investment lead to further research and I found
these to be two bands that greatly appealed to me.

Now a certain lurker on this list provided me with some recommendations
through compilations tapes, much like we're discussing here, and I liked
what I heard so much I made a substantial financial investment in these
bands.   My point being some people take a more catious approach with
their music buying. Why make a tape that has the possibility of really
impacting someone if you know beyond your vinyl there is none to be had?
 I can't speak for everybody but when I latch on to good music at that
point I'm willing to invest in it.  So if Steve Swann were to send me a
tape by "Sky is Falling" and it is real good I'd hate to hear from him,
"Sorry their career only lasted three albums and none of them have ever
been placed on cd."

Its a nit I know but someone has to stick up for us folks with miniscule
collections.

How are you for "The Lizard" and "Devil in The Details?"

L8er
Ghost in the Ruins