BOC time sig fun...

StevenTice StevenTice at AOL.COM
Tue Apr 28 00:53:57 EDT 1998

<< As far as weird time thingies, I put in a bunch; I'm On the Lamb, Cagey
 Cretin, Godzilla, Dizbusters, Astronomy, Morning Final, Joan Crawford, Blue
 Oyster Cult (from Imaginos).

So YOU were the one that kept slipping those in there!  :-)  Hey, you didn't
mention Debbie Denise, which was one of the few BOC songs that utilized odd
time signatures for more than just a measure here and there.  What I think is
interesting is that you're not even credited on a couple of those songs.  I
was giving Roeser credit for that one measure in Godzilla!  Was the one
measure in Reaper your idea, too?  Yikes!

>>They're in at least one song from every studio
 album except Mirrors and Fire Of Unknown Origin. Admittedly they're pretty
 subtle, mostly a bar or 6/8 or 7/8, and then back to yer standard 4/4 but
 they're also not repeated ad infinitum either. Let's face it there'll never
 be another Time Out (Dave Brubeck Quartet). >>

Actually, I find Time Out to be rather repetitive, although I recognize that
the later, more varied and complex explorations of time signatures by
progressive rock and jazz fusion bands might never have occurred without that
landmark album.

SET