HW: Smoke Dreams ICU

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Wed Apr 29 15:49:17 EDT 1998

on Tue, 28 Apr 1998 14:09:30 +0000, LN1GJT <Guy.Thomas at LONDON.ENTOIL.COM>
spake thusly:

>"Watching the Grass Grow" was the first two ICU albums.
>The first was titled "Pass Out", and the second LP was "Punkadelic" - quite
>a good album really!

As someone else mentioned, "Punkadelic" was the third ICU LP, but I believe
that some of it pre-dates 'Passout'.  I'm not quite sure what my favorite
ICU album is, but I know it's not "New Anatomy"!  "Stonehenge Who Knows",
"Bones of Elvis", "Raj Neesh", "Watching The Grass Grow", "Blood & Bone",
and "God Disco" are all classic tracks IMO, and I think that covers just
about every ICU release.

>Let's face it though, "Watching the Grass Grow" has appeared in so many
>different places now that I, for one, have lost track of the number of
>versions out there.

It's probably my favorite song from the 83/84 Hawkwind repertoire!

>I heard a rumour that the version on "Prophets of Time" was recorded as an
>instumental in the States by the various members of Pressurehead, and Nik
>did the sax and vocals over here in the UK - is this true of the entire LP?

This is true of both the 'Prophets of Time' and 'Sphynx' (remake) CD's on
Cleopatra ... Tommy Grenas verified this around the time that 'Prophets'
came out (although he asked me to not mention this fact until after the
Space Ritual tour, so that people would have a chance to hear what the band
_really_ sounded like).  And yeah, as Steve P said, the songwriting credits
on 'Prophets' bear about as much resemblance to reality as those on 'The
Business Trip' ("Nuclear Waste" wasn't even co-written by Nik, or anyone in
ICU for that matter!).

Has anyone actually seen Trev's ICU yet?  How's 'bout posting a review for
those of us in the States who'll probably never have the chance ...

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com