HW: Brock & Neu!

Andrew Dawson adawson at CLARA.NET
Wed Apr 29 18:36:04 EDT 1998

At 23:59 29/04/98 +0200, you wrote:
>Hmm. In the liner notes to a ho-hum Cleopatra Kraftwerk (75-78) comp its
>mentioned that Dave Brock of Hawkwind wrote the liner notes to the first
>Neu! lp- is this true?? I only have the Germanophon CD which is probably
>lifted off the original German graphics so... That album came out in late
>71/72 (UK) prior to Hawkwind going 'big' and I am a little intrigued by
>the Hawkwind->Neu!->Kraftwerk connection... can anyone confirm this? If so
>type it out too? :)
>
>Chr.

This is certainly correct. The liner notes are as follows

        Klaus Dinger and Michael Rother are both former members
of Kraftwerk who broke up away from the very successful German
group in August 1971 (On live appearances Eberhard Krahnemann also
late of Kraftwerk joins the group).
        They chose the name NEU (new) deliberately to attract attention
as with any make of detergent or household product although of course they
would admit themselves that there is nothing completely "new" in music.
        Klaus and Michael borrowed money from various people in order
to finance this first record themselves, and altogether it took four nights in
Hamburgs Windrose studios to complete, with the help of Conny Plank who
also engineered the two Kraftwerk albums. Luckily, and deservedly, the album
turned out to be a critical and financial success in Germany and made Neu
one of
the top three bands alongside Amon Duul II and The Can.
        On this first album "Neu" decided to stick to a multi-instrumental format
using voices only as an extra instrument.
        As for the future the group says "we make no premature fixing of style, as
we are very dependent on situations and circumstances" so we must just wait
and see.
        By the way, you can write to the group at:-

        NEU
        4 Dusseldorf, in Grund 3b
        Germany

P.S Dont forget international reply coupon as the group will answer
themselves when
they can

                Dave Brock
                (Hawkwind)

As far as i know the liner notes are only on the vinyl release and not on
any CD's.
Cant remember much about the music as it's quite a few years since I played
it. In
fact I only bought it for the liner notes.

Andy

Andrew Dawson
adawson at clara.net
http://home.clara.net/adawson