PF's Larry & Paul (was: HW: another compliation)

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Thu Apr 30 17:50:36 EDT 1998

on Thu, 30 Apr 1998 22:13:13 +0100, Andy Gilham
<Andy.Gilham at BTINTERNET.COM> wrote:

>Chris Warburton <desdinova at EARTHLING.NET> writes:
>> Hear, hear! 'Kings of Oblivion' rocks, but I always thought it was a bit
>> too 'shiny'.

Yeah, Larry's guitar sound is too clean on that one; not like Rudolph's
ultra-fuzzed tone (or even the sound on Shagrat's "Peppermint Flickstick"
or "Steel Abortion").

>> 'What a Bunch of Sweeties' is my personal fave, but the only one I
>> possess is the Polydor comp. from that series with the 35mm tranny type
>> pictures, but it does have 'The Snake' on it*grinnz*.  I dimly remember
>> being knocked out by the Glasto stuff, but it must be over 20 yrs. since
>> I heard it....
>
>_Sweeties_ is my fave too - esp "Walk Don't Run" (the old Ventures surf
>number)!  Radio Birdman used to cover the Fairies' version...

Have you ever heard this?  It's listed (along with tons of other cool
covers including 5 BOC songs) in the Vivien Johnson book, but it ain't on
any of the bootlegs I have.  It just sounds too cool ... (and a nice S&M
vibe to the lyrics on that one - "we went up to her room/she hit me with a
broom").

>I think the two Glasto tracks are on this new _Golden Years_ comp on
>Cleopatra - that's the version of "Do It" that goes "don't rip me off -
>you'd better fuck off"...

That's the 'Glastonbury' version, all right!  The other track from the comp
is the 18-minute version of "Uncle Harry's Last Freakout" - one of the
alltime greatest over-the-top psychedelic guitar jams.

>What a surprise a few years ago when seeing the Rollins Band at the ULU,
>and they start to play "Do It"!

I was working at a college/community radio station when the Rollins version
came out, so I had to explain to everyone who the original was by ...

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com