OFF: UK Charts

Chris Warburton desdinova at EARTHLING.NET
Mon Aug 3 13:15:04 EDT 1998

Carl & Andy wrote:
>>      Man, I saw Godzilla the other night and well, it coulda been
>> more lame than it was, I suppose, but at least bits of NYC got
>> twatted, which is always good in my book.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it when I took my son after all I'd
read here on the list, though I felt sorry for Matthew Broderick: some of
the lines he had to deliver....and I thought Jean Reno stole the show!

>>      But I paused briefly at the end to hear the above, and, hmm
>> well, the Kashmir riff was OK (but we knew that), but er, hm,
>> assuming they didn't suddenly change to another song in the middle
>> of the end credits ... that Puff guy cannot sing to save his
>> sorry ass!  I fled the theatre before I had to hear any more :)
>>

>Carl, where ya bin?  It's not singing, it's called "rap", and according to
>the Chambers Dictionary, it's "a rhythmic monologue delivered over a musical
>background; a type of music consisting of such monologues".  Very popular
>with the young folks, I understand!  See _Lost in Space_ instead, and stay
>for Apollo 440 over the end credits!

So THAT's who it was - unfortunately my kids were in a hurry to go, but I
was enjoying it much more than any other blockbuster "close-out" music I've
heard in a long while.  It's a better movie too.  The Guardian's review
mused on whether the fact that it didn't insult your intelligence and had
halfway decent dialogue were the reasons why it had (so far) not done well
at the box-office?!?!?

ChrisW
obCD: Bill Frisell/gone, just like a train
      (This gets better every time I play it!)

Free your mind & watch your ass!