New Moorcock Films (Was - UK Charts)

The Automind antisol at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 4 22:04:58 EDT 1998

>> > If it really catches, Moorcock could start writing new Jerry >>
>Cornelius novels! It would be interesting to see what he'd do to >>
>satirize the imitation of his original targets.
>
> Well, there has been a new short story, as well as an appearance in
>the new comic. Which keeps maniacs like me up do date on what Pierrot
>is getting up to at present...

How recent? I'd like to read it. Is it available anywhere? I'm pretty
out of touch with Moorcock's recent stuff. From what I've seen in
bookstores it looks like he's just trying to cash in (revisions,
compilations, etc.)on the successes of his early S&S/Fantasy novels (the
same ones he often admits he's embarrassed to have written).

>> Good plan - and I'd love to see a updated film version of Jerry
>> Cornelius with all the cynical view of a character simply getting
>> on and making a success of his life while the rest of the world is
>> falling apart all around.   The problem would not be portraying the
>> Cornelius character, who is fairly universal IMO, but the
>> personalities around him - most of these are written more in the
>> form of Charles Dickens' grotesque caricatures and would be
>> difficult to put into a film environment where a more realistic
>> (?believeable) frame of reference is needed.

I wasn't even considering a film, though that could be extraordinary if
done right. The other thing that would be hard to portray on film is the
constant shifting of reality and disconnection(+repetition) of events.
It's not that it couldn't be done, it's just that the only person with
the guts to take on the task would be Moorcock himself!

>        Well, I won't make any comment with regards to a hypothetical
>new Jerry film, but here's two I'd like to see.
>The Brothel in Rossenstrasse - Directed by Peter Greenaway, Music by
>the Deep Fix.

I don't know if I've read that... And what IS this Deep Fix? Do/did they
actually exist outside of his books and the one album release?

>        Gloriana, Or the Unfulfill'd Queen - Directed by Terry Gilliam,
>Music by the Deep Fix.
>        Mmmmmmmmmmm..... (drool drool)

Terry Gilliam is the only one I'd trust to do that. I wonder if he's a
Moorcock fan. stupid Deep Fix.

I could also see "Black Corridor" as one of those cheesy in-your-face
made-for-TV dealies on the Sci-Fi Channel. :)

>OBFilm - Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas (I know *exactly* how it feels -
well,
>almost).

I don't understand how they could have flooded their motel room without
the water leaking through the walls and doorway. This ruined the entire
film for me. :]