OFF: UK Charts

Jean Lansford lansford at VNET.NET
Wed Aug 5 11:30:03 EDT 1998

On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, "BREVARD, Adrian R." <abrevard at SHL.COM> wrote:

>Heard that Armaggedon is too noisy, 'Zilla too much hooey, Saving
>Private Ryan too bloody.  Think I'll go for the safe eye candy and check
>out Catherine Zeta-Jones in Zorro.

Seen 'em all and highly recommend any but 'Zilla.

Zorro is a delightful romp and the only one I've =had= to see twice.
I wouldn't recommend it for small children because of a couple of
scenes.

Armageddon is fun and the science is good enough to not bounce most
people out of the film.  NASA was involved in making it.  As for
noisy, I didn't find it nearly as noisy as Lethal Weapon IV.  I'm
considering seeing it again.  I rarely cry at movies, but this one did
get to me.  And don't miss the credit sequence at the end.

There's little in SPR that hasn't been done in your average slasher
movie.  This is a movie that no one should expect to enjoy, but
everyone who can handle it =should= see it.  The only movie that has
come close to SPR's intensity for me was _Gettysburg_ when seen in the
theater.

I'm told the only competition SPR is expected to have come Oscar time
is _The Thin Red Line_; TRL has a very high mark to aim for.  If TRL
is done with the same realism, it may be too much for some people who
have little trouble with SPR.  (TRL is about the 1st Marine Division
on Guadalcanal.  For me, the movie will make or break itself with how
it handles certain events in that battle, particularly the point where
the Marines realize their supply ships have pulled out.)

Jean Lansford
lansford at vnet.net
http://users.vnet.net/lansford/