OFF: UK Charts

Ted Jackson jr. s2h2 tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Wed Aug 5 11:48:40 EDT 1998

> From:          Dave Berry <daveb at HARLEQUIN.CO.UK>

> At 15:30 05/08/98 GMT, Jean Lansford wrote:
> >I'm told the only competition SPR is expected to have come Oscar time
> >is _The Thin Red Line_; (TRL is about the 1st Marine Division
> >on Guadalcanal.
>
> Er, why's it called Thin *Red* Line?

It's the title of a novel written by James Jones, the guy who wrote
>From Here to Eternity.  Jones was a combat vet from WWII who was
stationed in Pearl Harbor when it was bombed, then his unit went to
Guadalcanal for the assault there.  JOnes was in the Army [tropic
lightning division].  It's been a while since I read it--can't
remember why it's titled thus, but I suspect it's the line between
cowardice and heroism under fire...

theo

"...Power in the hands of fools..."