OFF: UK Charts

brian halligan brianh at PULLEYN.COM
Wed Aug 5 14:42:32 EDT 1998

>On ons 5 aug 1998 18.48 +0100 "Dave Berry" <daveb at HARLEQUIN.CO.UK>
wrote:
>> At 10:06 05/08/98 -0700, BREVARD, Adrian R. wrote:
>>>But would you want to be a driver or gunner in a tank?
>>>Air battles are more glamorous and modern day warfare says you must
rule
>>>the skies to win a war.
>>
>> I believe the average life expectancy of a pilot in the Battle Of
Britain
>> was about two months.  I can't remember where I heard this though, so
it
>> may be just a factoid.

How long do you expect a 2 month old pilot to survive a battle anyway?
(har har)

>     I recall a similar figure--and even shorter ones for pilots
>in WWI.  And, conversely, I imagine the chances of survival for
>the average American tank crewman in the Gulf War was very good
>indeed ;)

And would have been even greater if you discount friendly fire.

Carl, you may not go for the F-15 or F-16, but what about the new F-22
or the new Swedish Saab-built fighter?  Speed, kill power, and stealth
all wrapped up in one...  Jets worthy of a tribute from BOC!

Brian

Brian Halligan
mailto:brianh at pulleyn.com
http://home.earthlink.net/~halligan/wicker.html

"We are drawing a moustache on the wanted poster of the face of music."
-Fierce Wicker