Off: More film comments

Chris Warburton desdinova at EARTHLING.NET
Wed Aug 5 14:39:40 EDT 1998

At 08:02 05/08/98 EDT, you wrote:
>> From:          The Automind <antisol at HOTMAIL.COM>
>
>> >     Uma Thurman (as Emma Peel), Ralph Fiennes (as John Steed)
>> >and Sean Connery (as a bizarre Scottish villian who controls the
>> >weather).  Good line-up, anyway.
>--snip--<
>> how can you recapture that charming
>> innocence?). There is no doubt that shortly after its release there
>> while be a massive trend where the usual idiots will try to adopt that
>> whole attitude and chique urbane, upperclass fashion look. American
>-- snip --<<
>Oh, I think it'll be a collossal flop.  Fiennes isn't big here except
>for arty type stuff like Quiz Show and English Patient.  I don't
>think he can pull off an action-type flick.  Not to say I don't like
>him.  I thought he was fantastic in Strange Days, a great flick
>overall...

I too am worried about a treasure being ransacked, but I don't think
Fiennes as Steed will necessarily be a problem...I DO have serious doubts
about Uma Thurman as Mrs. Peel - Diana Rigg she ain't;  I also fear that
the humour will be overplayed & overwritten to try and guarantee "laffs"
from the popcorn bucket audience, rather than the wry, genteel and courtly
approach of the original.

As for LiS, one of the guys who put it together said that he'd intended to
stay faithful to the original, until he went back and watched the old TV
shows and realised how dire they were - a sentiment I agree with even
though I enjoyed them as a kid!

Finally, I second the motion for more new ideas in cinema - maybe the
Hollywood types should rediscover books (now there's a revolutionary idea!).

My 2 penn'orth
ChrisW

Free your mind & watch your ass!