OFF: Spoiler alert! Armageddon

Ted Jackson jr. s2h2 tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Wed Aug 5 15:16:56 EDT 1998

>> From:          Carl Edlund Anderson <cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK>
>
>      Arse, this sounds worrying.  Right: what percentage of screen
> time is devoted to NYC getting trashed by space chunks?  If it
> compares unfavourably to cheezy love scenes then I shan't be able
> to stomach it!

Not too much of the flick involves NYC getting hit, though that's how
the film opens.  There's another pretty good scene where a tidal wave
engulfs a big chunk of the China coast.  The main problem is that
Bruce Willis' character does almost the same thing as Robt. Duvall's
does in Deep Impact, and Duvall wins hands down.  It's obvious Duvall
was having a blast making the flick, while Bruce looks like he needs
an enema most of the film.

The love scenes are GOD-AWFUL!  And Bruce Willis as a concerned dad
just isn't credible.  And mind you, I'm a huge Willis fan!

Deep Impact doesn't really have any scenes of asteroid collision
until the end, and that's pretty spectacular.  The outer space scenes
in DI are pretty good, and Duval is a real treat.

Armageddon can be compared to The Rock and Crimson Tide in terms of
production design, but those 2 had great scripts and acting, which
Arma doesn't come close to, I'm afraid...

theo

"...Power in the hands of fools..."