Off: More film comments

Wed Aug 5 16:29:42 EDT 1998

On ons 5 aug 1998 19.39 +0100 "Chris Warburton" <desdinova at EARTHLING.NET>
wrote:
> Finally, I second the motion for more new ideas in cinema - maybe the
> Hollywood types should rediscover books (now there's a revolutionary
idea!).

     Novel length stuff adapts badly, IMO, but short stories can work
OK.  On the other hand, the jump from page to screen is fraught with
peril (I just wanted to use that expression, actually :) and few
films manage it successfully, let alone gracefully.

     If they could simply come up with nice, punchy little stories
and tell them well, that would be OK.

     Mind you, the Richard Lester Muskateer films are among my
faves, so I can contradict myself with the best of 'em :)

--
Carl Edlund Anderson
Dept. of Anglo-Saxon, Norse, & Celtic
mailto:cea20 at cus.cam.ac.uk