OFF: UK Charts (Deep Impact v Armageddon)

Wed Aug 5 16:34:52 EDT 1998

On ons 5 aug 1998 19.53 +0100 "Chris Warburton" <desdinova at EARTHLING.NET>
wrote:
> BTW I think Texas probably could sneak up - in astronomical terms it's not
> that big!

     Texas-sized or not, the Earth could easily be hammered by
a astronomical object that nobody noticed until it smacked into
us.  I recall there was one that zipped by a few 100k miles or so
away (gnat's whisker, in astronomical terms) that nobody knew
about until three days after.  Dunno how big it was, but I
recall the projected explosive force, had it hit, would have
outstripped the total nuclear weapons stocks of the planet by
a very, very large amount.

Cheers,
Carl

--