OFF: UK Charts

Hulsebos A arjanh at CS.VU.NL
Thu Aug 6 03:41:47 EDT 1998

On Aug 5,  6:45pm, Carl Edlund Anderson wrote:

>     I'm a historian, and as such have an excellent understanding
>that wars are _dangerous_.  I prefer armchair-generalship as both
>cheaper and safer :)

You don't have to be a historian to see that. However, nowadays it's
relative safe to be a military, as was widnessed in Bosnia, and even
in the Gulf war, if you were on the "right" side.

>> Air battles are more glamorous and modern day warfare says you must rule
>> the skies to win a war.
>
>     Bah!  Glamourous.  Bunch of sissies :)  When it comes to
>aircraft I like the big, slow sluggers like the P-47 (and its
>spiritual descendant, the A-10).  Or tactical bombers like the

Yes, yes!!! I saw two A-10s once on a shooting practise. IM-PRES-SIVE!!!
I would say, tho, that the A-10 is the descendant of the Il-2, rather
than the P-47.

>B-24.  Or even logistical workhorses like the C-47.  Snazzy
>modern interceptors like the F-16 and -15 put me to sleep :)

But they look more sexy.....

>     F4Fs and F6Fs were pretty cool, and even the Corsair was
>OK.  But I was never as into the Pacific Theatre.

>> Besides the Air Force is the only
>> branch of American forces where you can sleep in a bed during conflicts.
>
>     Well, besides the Navy ... ;)

They're also the only Americans that _sleep_ in a bed during a conflict....

>Cheers,
>Carl

Cheers,
        Arjan H
Disclaimer? Whaddayamean, disclaimer? This is 1998!

            Arjan Hulsebos -- arjanh at cs.vu.nl
For more info (last updated June 5,1998): finger -l arjanh at top.cs.vu.nl