OFF: UK Charts

Jean Lansford lansford at VNET.NET
Thu Aug 6 11:58:42 EDT 1998

On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, "Ted Jackson jr. s2h2" <tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU>
wrote about Armageddon:

>I cried quite a few times:  mostly during the love scenes bet. Liv
>Tyler and Ben Affleck [sp?] I've never seen such poor acting in my
>life!  And the cliched oedipal competition between Affleck and Bruce
>Willis will likely make serious film  buffs shed a tear or two.  What
>a horrible script for such a huge budget!  Right up there with Batman
>and Robin...

I wouldn't go that far.  Even I thought about walking out of B&R.
(And yes, I found that love scene tedious.  But note that I generally
find such scenes tedious.)

I found the characters believable because I know those characters.
The script writers could have lifted most of them right out of my
workplace without changing more than the names.

I wouldn't ever hold Armageddon to the same standard as, say, the
English Patient, not that I've seen the latter.  (I just don't like
that type of movie.)  They're too different.  As an action movie, A
deserves high marks, and if you enjoy that genre I recommend it.

Jean Lansford
lansford at vnet.net
http://users.vnet.net/lansford/