Space Folk (was: OFF: UK Charts)

christmu at EUNET.NO christmu at EUNET.NO
Fri Aug 7 09:13:20 EDT 1998

Doug Pearson...

>>Nice to know I'm not alone... "Space-Folk" nominations anybody?

>Linda Cohen (classical guitarist accompanied by electronics-wizard hubby
>Craig Anderton)
>Danish "Krautrock" band Emtidi ("Don't sit on the grass if it's too wet for
>your ass")
>Swedish "Krautrock" band Algarnas Traadgard (great violin on this one)
>Stone Harbor, from Youngstown, OH had a couple great acoustic guitar + Moog
>pieces on their sole LP
>
>How's that for a start?

How about:

Mooseheart Faith Stellar Groove Band - these guys ARE space-folk. I have
their Global Brain CD, one of my all time faves (I'm embarrased to say
their Bahai alien-religious hippy ramblings make faaar more sense than I
want to admit right now :)

Amon Duul II's wonderful Carnival In Babylon! My fave ADII. Liquid space
acid folk.

Third Ear Band - medieval folk influences mixed with lots of stoned out
arabesque noodlery droooneooon-folk. Lovely stuff. Their first two albums
are highly recommended and the Radio Sessions set from Voiceprint too.
Haven't heard Macbeth but I hear its their weakest one.

I guess Simon House's solo album touches on space folk too...

Legendary Pink Dots will toss in a smattering of folkyness into the bleak
spacyness as well....

Icarus - The Marvel World of Icarus, a bizarre novelty album of cosmic
proportions, the track "Conan" is pretty space-folky in an inebriated
head-injured Ian Anderson sort of way...

And what about Incredible String Band's longer workouts? Or Peter Hammill
on occasion with tracks like "Faint Heart and The Sermon".

Popol Vuh... tho not outright folk I guess (I am thinking In The Garden of
Pharaoh), mayhap Capt. Beefheart, Kevin Ayers-- hmm, the Michael Moorcock
New Worlds Fair one could arguably class as space folk :)

Rich Lockwood sez:

>Can I continue by throwing You Slosh and Ed Allein Johnson (sp?) into this?
>Recommend EAJ's "Purple Electric Violin Concerto" (or something).  All
>recorded in one take.  Scary.

woo! I've been thinking about snagging a coverless cheapo of this 2nd hand,
looks like I gotta get it......

rant etc.
Chr-

ObCD - Goblin "Zombi/Tenebre" (has a couple of space horror-folk tracks!)