OFF: War and Civilization

J Strobridge eset08 at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Fri Aug 7 12:33:29 EDT 1998

brian halligan writes:

> Since the list has been delving into Saving Private Ryan lately, I was
> wondering if anyone else has been watching the War and Civilization 8
> part series on The Learning Channel?  It's been an interesting look at
> armies, weapons, and tactics since the begining of "true" warfare about
> 3,000 years ago.  Tonights episodes cover WWI through the present.

Drifting even further off topic - but what the heck - it's Friday
afternoon on a wet summer's day:    I was watching a programme on the
battle of Agincourt the other night** and apparently the weapons that
won the battle were the English longbows and it's from the bowmen that
the two fingered V-sign comes (not the Victory sign but the reverse
V-sign) since the two fingers used are the bowstring-pulling fingers
and the bowmen would taunt the French by holding them up in derision!

And I always assumed it meant something else entirely....!

** <obQuick British history, in case anyone is interested:
Henry V, King of England tries to annex France to England by force
in 1415 and sort of succeeds for about 25 years or so>.

Historical mode off - going home now.

cheers
jill

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at holyrood.ed.ac.uk