OFF - Big nasty planes

Chris Warburton desdinova at EARTHLING.NET
Fri Aug 7 18:42:21 EDT 1998

At 12:27 07/08/98 GMT, Martin wrote:
>About the comment that the B2 was the scariest aircraft someone had seen.
>When I was younger I used to live with the bottom of my garden backing
>onto a RAF camp, and they had one airshow there where they had a Vulcan
>bomber turn up and do some manoevres. One of these was (and I'm sure it was
>pretty illegal as was way too low for flying over a residential area) to
stand
>on end and go straight up right over where I was standing in my garden. The
>noise was HUGE. A big warbird with a loud loud loud cry. It was an amazing
>sight.

I can vouch for THAT noise: I went to a tramsport fest at the Crich Tramway
Museum one year when they had a Vulcan do a low level flyby - truly
awesome, and, backtracking a little, during the lead up to the Gulf war it
was fun watching Harriers & A-10s scaring the crap out of wrinklies while
practising strafing runs along the A17 in Lincolnshire.

This may be apocryphal, but a couple of years before that I heard a tale of
a fibre optic comms researcher at Martlesham Heath who got so fed up with
low flying A-10s using their aerials as dummy targets disturbing his peace
& quiet that heredirected the beam dump from his laser rig out through a
vent in the roof - the consequence being that their defensive systems would
go ape thinking they were being targeted...they gave the place a wide berth
after a while...

ChrisW

Free your mind & watch your ass!