OFF: War and Civilization

christmu at EUNET.NO christmu at EUNET.NO
Tue Aug 11 16:19:23 EDT 1998

>On Aug 7,  5:33pm, J Strobridge wrote:
>
>>Drifting even further off topic - but what the heck - it's Friday
>>afternoon on a wet summer's day:    I was watching a programme on the
>>battle of Agincourt the other night** and apparently the weapons that
>>won the battle were the English longbows and it's from the bowmen that
>>the two fingered V-sign comes (not the Victory sign but the reverse
>>V-sign) since the two fingers used are the bowstring-pulling fingers
>>and the bowmen would taunt the French by holding them up in derision!
>
>A little addition: if the English bowmen were captured, these very two
>fingers were chopped off.... This bit of information adds a little flavor
>to the gesture, don't you think?
>
>>cheers
>>jill
>
>Arjan H

I thought all this was everyday common knowledge to you british?????? Dunno
where I know it from... oh yeah, I musta been an English bowman in my
former life :)

Christian

ObCD/subsequent train of thought: Moonloonies - Detonator (by complete
accident I found this 2day supercheap - part-time-Hawk Crum plays keys and
its very SPACEY! Ditto for the "Head Your Mind" Dreamtime sampler which has
two great alternate versions of Ship of Fools tracks... I used to see the
video of SoF's L=sd 2 on MTV Europe, oddly enough - and I had it on tape
with Sundials' "Fireball" off same channel as well - what happened to
spacerock in the mainstream??)