OFF un-Spiritualised

J Strobridge eset08 at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Mon Aug 17 13:53:25 EDT 1998

Jon Browne writes:

> You're lucky, they can't do the choir at every gig. It's fair to say
> it's choir *plus* blistering white noise feedback metalstorm on top.

They separated them out for this show - it was very much either noise or
slow vocals - 80% vocals.   Someone musta told them they were performing
in a converted church so they decided to treat it seriously.

> Hmmm, the barber shop bits new to me though!

A long endless 4-part harmony song about the life and death of someone
or another.   But the sound quality was pretty crap as well as
everything else and all we could glean from it was the fact that she
eventually and mercifully, died in the end.    I have to say that many
of the audience were getting restless by this point and some serious
catcalling was building up in the body of the kirk but we left before
it escalated further.

Since then I've listened to their album on cassette which is really
quite good in parts, reminiscent of later Gong, but bears almost no
resemblance at all to the show they put on for us the other night.

Wierd but I guess it shows that Hawkwind aren't the only band to put
on a stage show completely at variance to their album release.

jill

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at holyrood.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk