HW: SD 98

Bob Lennon Hawkwinder at AOL.COM
Tue Aug 18 20:32:54 EDT 1998

         -Doug ceres at sirius.com writes:

<< ....
 >Biggest news: Dave Brock and Ron were not allowed in the country(good<
 >ol' USA for ya), I'm sure more news on that will get posted.<

 >>Ron was turned back (apparently as "undesirable") when trying to enter
>> Canada from the UK ... I heard some rumors over the cause, which seems to
>> be related to previous drug conviction(s) - does anyone know the true
>> story?  However, if what I heard about Dave is true, I feel reason to be a
>> bit pissed off.  As my information comes from conversations with Jim Lascko
>> and Jerry Richards, I feel like the information is valid enough to post
>> (but if I'm incorrect, please flame me!).  The reason that Dave was not
>> admitted into the USA (even though he had no trouble getting into Canada)
>> is because he didn't have a visa.  All he needed to do was fill out a form
>> and send it to a US consulate to get permission to enter the country.  Just
>> a rubber stamp, that's all.  If this is true, it bugs me that Dave didn't
>> have his sh*&%t together enough to get one stinkin' rubber stamp.  If
>> someone can confirm this, I'd like to hear, but no more negativity from me
>> on this, I promise!

 what i heard from Jim was that Dave had applied for an exemption to come into
the country due to prior records on file....that the exemption was mailed out
and it never arrived in time for Dave to make his flight....he tried to
straighten this out when he got to Canada ... but to no avail...
 >Jerry, Richard, and Captain Rizz(I think) played with a couple stand-ins.
 >They played about six songs with some extended jams. From memory they
 >played Time WE Left, Warrior at the Edge of Time, Space is Deep, Golden
 >Void, Brainstorm. It was about 65 minutes. I'm sure they did their best,
 >but it wasn't quite for me.

>> I would definitely vote that it was not a "real" Hawkwind gig (I prefer the
>> moniker RizzWind, personally), but I still enjoyed it immensely.  The intro
>> was very cool and reminiscent of Calvert's "Over the Top" rap, with Capt.
>> Rizz explaining how Dave & Ron weren't going to be there, but we were still
>> gonna rock.  Overall, the substitute Scotts from Sun Machine did an
>> adequate-to-good job of filling in - nothing fancy, but still commendable
>> for only having one rehearsal, in Jerry's tent, earlier that afternoon!
>> Other than the lame & disappointing version of "Space is Deep" (one of my
>> fave HW songs, *sigh*), I thought that the set was very good, both the old
>> songs ("Time We Left"!), the new ones ("Wheels"), and the semi-informal
>> jamming that we got to hear more of than in most Hawkwind concerts.
>> Someone mentioned that Richard deserves mucho credit for holding the whole
>> thing together, and I must second that opinion.  He is an undeniably great
>> drummer, and even more importantly, really understands and lives what
>> Hawkwind is all about.  And Jerry did just fine, singing both Dave's and
>> Ron's parts (and hey, sometimes my mouth has trouble finding the
>> microphone, too!).

i vote that the show should be declared a "real" HW gig....what can i
say...the 3 hawks did a wonderful job in the face of great difficulties.....i
also thoroughly enjoyed their performance....but i'll wait til play my video
before i pick it apart...

 >Arc Met, who I was looking forward to seeing, was unable to play Friday
 >as scheduled because of a theft that had taken place the day before.
 >They were however rescheduled for Sunday at noon, but I had to leave
 >early Sunday for the 12 hour drive home.

 >>Arc Met and Born to G0 were both quite good on sunday; I'm glad I stuck
>> around for them (well, OK, I left mid-way through BtG 'cause I was feeling
>> kinda burnt).

yep!!!
 bob