BRAIN: Thoughts about the new album

brian halligan brianh at PULLEYN.COM
Thu Aug 27 10:58:22 EDT 1998

Some thoughts about the double album:

The upcoming double album seems like a slight change in direction for
the Surgeons- with more input from Peter and Billy.  I wonder if the
album artwork will reflect this shift?  Will we see another Steve
Brodner cover?  (Trep is my favorite so far)  Or will they use stock
photography?  Will the liner be sparse, or will there be extensive liner
notes and lyrics?  And of course, what will the title be? (Remember, it
starts, or did start, with "P".)

Since, I assume, the songs Peter wrote for this album weren't leftovers
from his solo album, how many will he sing?

Will Billy sing any of the songs he wrote?

Is having more than one or two vocalists detrimental to a band's sound
(BOC or the Eagles as past examples)?

Has anyone (or everyone) noticed that each album plays longer than the
last?

BoH had a few guest musicians/singers.  Do you think this trend will
continue?  Who might return from previous albums?

Will this album be the Surgeons' "Pet Sounds" or "Sgt. Pepper's"?  Or
would that album have to be an extension of the Imaginos storyline?

Who's Snowy, and will he be part of the production/engineering of the
new album?  I loved the way Needle Gun and Hassan sounded up-front and
"filled-out".

Finally, will the album be immediately released on Ripe and Ready,
eventually released on R&R (like BoH and M*), or distributed by someone
else?

Brian

5 at work>
Brain Surgeons "BoH"
BOC "Secret Treaties"
The Bevis Frond "North Circular"
The Who "Who's Better, Who's Best"
Ramones "All the Stuff (And More) Vol. 1