BOC:Corrupting the youth

E F des at SUPERLINK.NET
Fri Aug 28 00:18:29 EDT 1998

I went to see BOC last night at the Tradewinds in Sea Bright, NJ.  I'll
leave out the details as I have never been one to bother about what
songs got played and when and all that.  Let's just say it was genuinely
a really good show.  The audience was into it and the band was into.
On a cool note Jon Rogers came out and played Harvest Moon (I think)
with them.  It's pretty obvious that he and Buck still have a good
relationship.

I brought two friends with me though: a girl who used to work for me
and  her boyfriend.  They are in their early 20s and though she is
familiar with BOC from me her boyfriend is not.  Well they are now
converted.  She loved it!  Matter of fact she called me up today to tell
me that she went out this morning and picked up ETL and AOF.  Her
boyfriend was also impressed.  To quote him (this was after the 3rd
song), "Wow, I can't beleive a bunch of guys who look like my dad's
bowling team can rock the place like this!"    Guess that says it all.

These are the sixth people who are not very familiar with BOC that I
have taken to a show over the years and the reaction is always the
same.  So perhaps the key to the bands re-birth lay in bringing new
people, younger people to their shows and not just getting them to hear
a song or two over the radio or as presented to them by we the already
converted via a tape or a quick "check this song out."

Also, I doubt anyone from this list would be low-brow enough to do this,
but just in case, quit screaming out non-stop for which songs YOU want
to hear.  It's really annoying and pathetic.  Besides the band has
already decided long ago what they're going to play and no braying from
you is going to change that.

Finally, I took some pictures at the show and put them in my web-space.
If anyone cares, here's the links to them, you'll have to browse to them
individually as I don't have a web page just some space I put things in
(a web closet??).

www.superlink.net/~des/boc_98.jpg
www.superlink.net/~des/4guitars.jpg
www.superlink.net/~des/eric_key.jpg
www.superlink.net/~des/eric&buc.jpg
www.superlink.net/~des/buck&jon.jpg
www.superlink.net/~des/bja.jpg
www.superlink.net/~des/converts.jpg

OK, last thing.  On a sad note:  Ricky Browning has passed away (did
anyone else know this or does anyone know exactly when?) Buck dedicated
'Reaper' to him and gave a nice little tribute.

Well, that's enough rambling for one night.  Back to the bushes.

Happy converting.

  --Eric