HW: Compiling Live tr

Mark Edmonds edmondsm.brbs at EMS.RAIL.CO.UK
Thu Dec 3 05:00:00 EST 1998

From: Mark Edmonds
Date: 1998-12-03 10:00

>> Undisclosed Files            27.11.1984 & ?.12.88     CD+LP Sheffield + ?
>>
>> The rest of this is from Hammersmith Odeon, winter 1988 - (sorry - can't
recall
>> the date)

>Which tracks are from which years? I remember thinking way back that
>the later ones were one of the Hammersmith '88 gigs.
>FoFP

For what its worth, I made a crappy audience tape of the winter 88
Hammersmith gig (lo-fi sound on the tape but a nice memento). Anyway, having
heard that the Undisclosed might be the same gig, I made some comparisons.

There are major differences, especially in the vocal departement.

The bridge between Ejection and Motorway City is different (OK, this could
be a simple edit) but I can't make out the idle strumming of Dave's guitar
at the beginning of MC on my tape. Then there is a bit where Harvey goes
totally AWOL on the keyboards towards the guitar solo in the same track. Its
difficult to tell but I can't make that out with confidence in my tape. Then
during the chant of "Motorway City" before the guitar solo starts, Dave
adlibs a bit on TUF but on my tape that is totally absent. Also, at the fade
out of the track, on TUF, Dave says "Motorway City" which is absent on my
tape.

Onto Heads and things continue to go differently. Dave's singing of the
intro is completely different and then the whispered "Necromancer in a jar"
at the end of the track is missing on my tape.
The bridge into Angels of Death is slightly different and then the opening
vocal lines are again, sung in a completely different way between the two
recordings. There was some other big difference in this track which I can't
remember off hand.

Anyway, given that TUF can't be '89 anyway, if the Hammersmith gig (14th
Dec.?) is the basis of the CD, then they have probably used a few
instrumental lines and redone a lot of the vocals.

Comments?

Mark