BOC sounds?

Laj Waldner erebus7 at DLCWEST.COM
Sun Dec 6 18:47:15 EST 1998

Bolts of Ungodly Vision wrote:

> At 12:37 AM 12/6/98 +1000, you wrote:
> >> shit.  :) Anybody up for a discussion of sound quality (or the
> >> predominant lack thereof) in the BOC/Hawkwind catalog?
> Yes, but in the end all there is is lamentation. heh.
>
> >Yes, as soon as you get pretty much any of the old CD's onto a new stereo
> >these days they sound like shit (Hawkind and BOC are both at fault here).
> >In comparison the production qualities of albums from the same era of (for
> >example) Black Sabbath and Deep Purple have higher sound quality, but of
> >course with bands such as D.P. you are mainly relying on production to
> >achieve a good sound as opposed to the band themselves. I would say the
> Well, Deep Purple I know had  the production talents of Martin Birch on the
> lion's share of their output in the 70's at least.  So, it's bound to sound
> better than most of their peers' output of the time.  Note  how well done
> CU and FoUO are by the same guy.. If BOC had him on ST I really really
> shudder to think how GOOD that LP would sound.   If memory serves me well,
> I remember Albert once commented on how disappointed he (or the band,
> orboth) were with the production of "The Subhuman" on the LP. Also, the
> same post said that the best prodcution bit on the LP was that way neat
> music box intro to the mighty Flaming Telepaths.  To me, the way the band
> goes nuts during the "And the jokes on you" end is one of the most intense
> studio things they've done.Yay.

I always thought the music box intro to "Flaming Telepaths" sounded
great, I remember reading that they didn't know, and if im not mistaken
still don't know, who wrote the music. Has anybody ever seen the music
box with that song, or have heard it anywhere else? I always thought the
wolf howl at the beginning of "Wings wetted down" always sounded great
as an ending for "Baby Ice Dog", and I always put it in when placing
"Baby Ice Dog" on a various tape :-). Before "Mistress of the Salmon
Salt", there's the sound of a Toilet flushing, I think. Does anybody
know for sure what it is?

Laj.