Production vs. mastering (was: Re: Couldn't wait...)

Bolts of Ungodly Vision js3619 at WIZVAX.NET
Mon Dec 7 07:34:26 EST 1998

At 11:28 PM 12/6/98 -0500, you wrote:

>As for putting "a lot more effort into tweaking the technology of the
>studio," I suggest you listen to "Smoke on the Water" on _Machine Head_
>about that... ;-)
>
>It seems that the DP albums I have are fairly straighforward, albeit
>nicely-done recordings, and don't seem to me to contain the tons of
>overdubs and studio trickery your average, say, Led Zeppelin album has.
>Maybe the other DP albums are more fancy in that respect?
Uhh.... not really. If one goes back to the very first trio of LPs with
Nick Simper on bass and Rod Evans vox, the closest I think they get to
massive track taking is "April" because it has the symphonic/rock band
intrumental intro piece.  As for Mark II linup material, From what they
liner notes say in the Fierball 25th Anniversay remaster, the only things
that got overdubbed were the guitar and organ solos, and Ian Gillan's
voice.  BTW, Fireball's anniversary edition is really really well done. Its
double the size of the original LP w/ the bonus tracks and "Roger Gloer
mixes" -- He does a mighty fine job too!

Ear Damage,
Jason