Couldn't wait...

hijinks at UTARLG.UTA.EDU hijinks at UTARLG.UTA.EDU
Mon Dec 7 09:19:20 EST 1998

On Sun, 6 Dec 1998, Stephen Swann wrote:
> > Anyway, my point is that Sony's "SuperBitMapping" technique used on
> > the Black Sabbath masters appears to have the quality of preserving
> > the sound of the original recording as much as possible (noise,
> > harshness and all), rather than blunting the edge of the music in the
> > interests of making it sound "cleaner" (like Mobile Fidelity does
> > sometimes on really old, bad recordings, and EMI did with the Hawkwind
> > remasters).

I think that my copy of Doremi Fasol Latido (One Way) sounds better than
Black Sabbath's Master of Reality, way better.  I think the Black Sabbath
(American versions) sound like shit.  The bass is lacking and the drums
are anemic.  But the Castle remasters (available as English imports)
sound really good. Treble is crisper, the drums have more wallop, and the
bass moves more air. Especially Master of Reality and Vol. 4. So I am
hoping that something similar will be done with the early BOC remasters
coming out soon.

Does anyone know anything about the mastering process used for those
Castle remasters?

--thomas