Couldn't wait...

Andrew A. Apold mordru at FLITE.NET
Tue Dec 8 13:18:16 EST 1998

>            Bring back quadraphonic systems, I say. Dolby Surround isn't made
>for music (as exemplified by Emerson, Lake & Palmer's recent album with a dolby
>"Pictures at an Exhibition" - bodgy to say the least).
>            QSound? Roger Waters may think he can hear the dogs barking in the
>next yard, but I can't.

Yeah, that dog in "Amused to Death" didn't seem right for me, either.

But the best Q-Sounding effect CD I have does it quite well.  Oddly, it
was a Sega-CD game that had audio tracks that it played during the game
(playable on standard cd player by skipping track 1), Ecco the Dolphin.
Before anyone goes any further, it came for free when I bought a SegaCDX
a couple years ago.

Not the kind of thing I would normally listen to, but the immersion
effect was great, and for the people into that kind of thing kind of
new-agey but with a watery feel, very appropos for the game, dates back
about 3-5 years....

As far as positional audio, I recently got an A3D sound card which is
great in its demos at doing full 3d with various demos and effects
(and is simply incredible in Half-Life (must have), pretty good in
Freespace and Battlezone as well).  There's got to be a way to do this
with regular audio tracks, I mean, whatever it's doing to produce that effect,
at some level it's produced and fed to your speakers, so why can't that
be captured?
 Stone and Sea are Deep in Life
 Two unalterable symbols of the world
 Permanence at Rest, and Permanence in Motion
 Participants in the Power that Remains
       - Giantish song from Covenant chronicles