HW: Distant Horizons

bart bart at AEOLIANS.BT.CO.UK
Thu Dec 17 05:21:14 EST 1998

> ObGig:  Magnet/Zombie - lots o'laffs, Magnet better than Zombie, good time
> had by all anyway!

Indeed, brothers & sisters, boys & girls, m-f at the Astoria!

I dunno what schedule they were working to, but Magnet must have come onstage
while we were quaffing beers in the Angel. Consequently we have no idea what
the Backyards Babies were like.

Magnet setlist was similar to Scott's review but shorter -
... Powertrip, Dopes to Infinity, Living Crop Circle, Bummer, Negasonic
Warhead, Space Lord

No encore !
No Spine of God !!!

Zombie did his thing later, which was all well and good, but ultimately rather
uniform. Like Carl said about Hellbilly Deluxe - a couple of good songs
repeated 6-7 times. Even with the stage set and lighting for Zombie, I think
Wyndorf's antics, how choreographed made the Magnet show more charismatic.
Zombie's style is something that goes down a storm on the dancefloor in a rock
club for the odd track, but a whole gig just outstays its welcome.

Still, a good night nonetheless.

Tim

NP: _Spine of God_