Heaven Forbid, I'm back!

Ted Jackson jr. s2h2 tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Thu Dec 17 06:39:43 EST 1998

> From:          "<Nick English>" <nick at THECAMPUS.COM>

The one piece of advice I would give them is to dump
> Shirley's lyrics, which are not only too simplistic for this band,
> but also do not lend themselves easily to the rich, complex rock
> compositions BOC has been known for in the past. Example:  The best
> all-around song musically on the disc is Harvest Moon, and I think a
> major reason for this is that it's the only tune with a lyric that
> has more rhythmic complexity than a limerick.

Agree with Nick here.  I like some of Shirley's lyrics, and more
important, I like some of the themes he explores, just that they
don't seem to develop.  Really, some of his lyrics sound like
throwaways.  And, they don't stand too tall when compared to
Pearlman's stuff.  Also agree that HM is the best song, and surprise,
it was written by Buck.  I think we just have to realize that Buck
isn't a prolific songwriter.  It's quality over quantity with him.  I
do wish he could find a collaborator to bounce song ideas off, and
help come up with lyrics.  I guess that's what he does with Shirley,
but as I see it, JS sends Buck lyrics, and then he builds a song
around them?  That's what I gathered from the JS inerview...

Also, since BOC tour so heavily, I wonder how much time BD has to
kick back and work out song ideas?  Gotta remember that these guys
are older, presumably married, maybe have kids etc.  As you get
older, priorities shift.  I know, I know:  that's what retirement's
for.  Never said these were easy issues...

theo