BOC: Re: Heaven Forbid, I'm back!

Bolts of Ungodly Vision js3619 at WIZVAX.NET
Thu Dec 17 13:02:03 EST 1998

JB wrote:
>As far as tBS and "Box of Hammers" is concerned, I haven't heard it. I
>bought their first CD, Epe-whatzit.. and didn't much care for it so I've
>been hesitant. Perhaps I'll give BoH a try.

Its radically different than Eponyous.It's more like BOC than Heaven
Forbid, but better.Features: A more selective use of horns. The album feels
much more alive than Eponymous did thanks to Mssrs. Bohevesky,Hilfiger and
Hirschberg on guitars and bass.  It's good too for the BOC related reason
of having some songs that were sketched out during Albert and Joe's tenue
have been filled out mightily (Gun, St Vitus Dance, Laura's Plastic Swords
to name a few).  If you want good heavy riffage, the numbers on that CD to
dig are "Tender was the Night" for funkiness (w/ Metlzer lyrics so it can't
be bad:)), Operation Luv for a full metal assault, Date with a Guitar has
a wonderfully King Crimsonoid riff in there that swaggers with attitude,
Overture is bits an pieces rom Imaginos in overture form... with lots of
guitar solos in the Astronomy end riff segment.Aslo, their version of
Dwight Twilley's Im on fire has a wonderful cruising feel.  Lil Egypt is a
great Mid eastern number with a demonic riff and odd time signature PLUS a
good use of thermin which J.Page never exhibited.
I could go on, and proboaly will. In other words, get it. It's loud, it's
rock and roll (with some sincere sounding ballades (2) thrown in fer good
measure), and it shows committment to performing.   Personally, I like
eponymous a bit more than the 2nd cd, Trepanation for overall feel, but
Trepanation has some really heavy killers on there (Gimme Nothing,My
Civilization,Medusa,Kiss is a Promise (w/ Joe on Mandolin) not to mention
MC5's "Rambling Rose."  But Box of Hammers feels far more coherent and
expansive in relation to those two bandwise.  The band is also very easy to
talk to.

Pardon me while i take my sedatives ere the Brain Surgeons are blasted from
my stereo at 11,
Jason

PS: any word on if the official tBS homeopage has returned to the web?