BOC: Re: Heaven Forbid, I'm back!

Thu Dec 17 17:29:44 EST 1998

Steve said

> He [John Shirley]'s not adept at writing fiction, or even passable
sentences.  I
> skimmed one of his "splatterpunk" novels back when he first cropped as
> a BOC lyrics contributor.  I hadn't heard any of his lyrics yet, and
> approached the book with pretty positive expectations, thinking that
> BOC would have chosen to collaborate with someone with a level of
> talent comparable to Sandy or Richard Meltzer.  "Diappointed" isn't
> really an adequate description of my reaction.  The more I read, the
> more I came to the conclusion that he's just an idiot with a
> typewriter and a connection in the publishing biz.

Tee hee!  I have found the occasional short story quite good - most of the
_New Noir_ collection works - but too often he's trying to be a cross
between Jim Thompson and the young Harlan Ellison.  Not that these are bad
aspirations, but they're out of most writers' league.  On the other hand, I
browsed his website earlier today, and I rather enjoyed several of his
"Skeptical Enquirer" non-fiction rants.  (Although "Does God exist?" was a
bit superficial :)

I played his album all the way through once, too!

- Andy