BOC: Covers ofU nknown Origin

Chris Baker Nebosuke at AOL.COM
Sat Dec 19 12:47:36 EST 1998

Jason writes:

> ...BOC doing "SOul Kitchen" at a show...Anyone know what  "Candy Store-Turn
Out The Red Light" is? it was played 75-11-03 in Paris and 75-11-20 in
Newcastle (yay Newcastle!)75-11-21 in Manchester (though the listing is only
for Candy Store at this gig.)
>  Any clues cultophiles?

This is actually "Turn On Your Love Light", it's also on the Manchester
11/25/75 tape.  There was a Greatful Dead song of this name - at least it was
a song they did a lot - although I've never heard the original.  Probably
this, though, it's a spare, jazzy thing with Buck playing a lead line that
sounds very San Francisco-y (or Stalk-Forrest-y).  Allen Lanier is on piano,
Albert on vocals and drumming, again in a much more jazzy fashion than with
the usual BOC songs - is he using brushes?.  It's only a couple of minutes
long, and seems to serve as an intro to "Cities on Flame", to which it
certainly makes an interesting counterpoint.

I don't know what "Candy Store" is.

"Soul Kitchen" is on a circulating tape recorded at the Willow Ice Chalet in
Chicago 4/12/75.  Seems like a pretty faithful rendering of the original,
guitar-heavy, that kicks into overdrive with a double-timed middle section
based around the "You Really Got Me" riff, with keys and dual guitars trading
off solos in patented BOC call-and-response style.  I don't know how often
they did this, but it rocks, and beats the stuffing out of the "Roadhouse
Blues" covers that would crop up later (which I felt were a little more
relaxed and free-form than the songs' set position called for).

-Chris Baker