HW: Clones (was Live tracks)

J Strobridge eset08 at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Sun Dec 20 18:10:39 EST 1998

Johan Edlundh writes with an air of cynical sarcasm:

> During the day I've made a Compact Cassette Collection for myself.
> Track list is a kind of oddities from the Acid Daze Trilogy - my favorite
> movement of Hawkwind fame - added with two bonus tracks from the
> Stockholm/Daily's Bar concert 1991.09.29 (levitation / arrival in utopia).
> Because of the last two tracks, I've entitled my creation "Stockholm
> Appearance. I've made a nice sleeve in color, that's been printed on my
> cheap Ink Jet.
> I'm proud of myself - because I know the Stockholm live tracks has not been
> released before, so the majority of Hawkwind Kollektors around the world are
> drooling now. See below:

> "Stockholm Appearance"
> (dec '98, Sweden - Cassette Album, only one copy made)
>
> Angels Of Death / Spirit of the Age / Douglas In The Jungle / Master of the
> universe / Ghost Dance / Earth Calling / Born To Go / You Shouldn't Do That
> / British Tribal Music / Levitation / Arrival in Utopia
>
> Can my tape and I be a part of this "Live Trax Project"?
> (You don't even drool..?)
> oh well. you said "...non tape"

nope - and I fear you will never even be able to trade your tape
since you have included chunks of pre-recorded vinyl on it as well.

> But if I spin up my CD-R, and move the music from the Cassette media into my
> computer, and then further out on a CD Recordable. It's easy to stretch the
> Cover Art to a little more Squary form - it even look more spacier now. Great!
> I'll try again.

> "Stockholm Appearance"
> (dec '98, Sweden - CD Recordable, only one copy made)
> (dec '98, Sweden - Cassette Album, only one copy made)
>
> Angels Of Death / Spirit of the Age / Douglas In The Jungle / Master of the
> universe / Ghost Dance / Earth Calling / Born To Go / You Shouldn't Do That
> / British Tribal Music / Levitation / Arrival in Utopia
>
> Is "Stockholm Appearance" now qualified for this "Live Trax Project"?
> Aw... Come on!

I confess that I was not initially involved in making this list although
I am *gladly* now helping in its creation wherever I can and I should
probably have kept my big mouth shut in the first instance but IMO:

Since you have given a recording date for the two live Stockholm
tracks I'm sure it would be no problem to include in the listing that
there is a one-off CDR that contains a live version of Levitation and
Arrival in Utopia from Stockholm whatever-the-date-is.   And I'm
equally sure that it would also be worth a mention, together with a
strong warning, that the same CD has taken the rest of the tracks
straight off Acid Daze.   It still won't rate an entry in the Codex!

> Well, still at the computer, I create four more CD-R copies. There is still
> ink in the printer, and... there's five copies lying on the table. I'll send
> a copy to Brian Tawn, and if I'm lucky, he'll mention my creation.
> I'll try again.

> "Stockholm Appearance"
> (dec '98, Sweden - CD Recordable, only five copies made)
> (dec '98, Sweden - Cassette Album, only one copy made)
>
> Angels Of Death / Spirit of the Age / Douglas In The Jungle / Master of the
> universe / Ghost Dance / Earth Calling / Born To Go / You Shouldn't Do That
> / British Tribal Music / Levitation / Arrival in Utopia
>
> Well,
> Am I in this time..?

Sadly I don't think you'll have much of a market for 9 Acid Daze tracks
and 2 live in Stockholm ones - not to mention the fact that your
Hawkwind Passport will probably be confiscated by the band the instant
you set foot in this country (which reminds me - has anyone had their
Passports returned yet?)

However your two live tracks are duly listed - never fear!

But for heavens sake - it's just a list!   I actually find it rather
interesting to know which versions of (say) Ghost Dance are live and
which are studio and what the different dates are - the style of the
track differs fundamentaly depending on which band members are
performing on it and there are definitely some periods of Hawkwind I
prefer than others and will listen to by choice!

But that's just my preference and I'm therefore helping to make this
listing because it is of interest to me.  But I don't expect everyone
will feel quite so interested so I have no doubt that there will in
due course be a "Komplete" listing for those who Kare about such things
and a reduced version to assist the curious with legit and available
releases.    That's the way of things.

But I'm sorry if the idea of making the list upsets you - if you prefer,
whenever I mail on the topic I'll put something into the header of any
messages as a warning that any mail with that in will be discussing it
- or if you feel it necessary I shall refrain from posting any
further mentions of it at all.

jill

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at holyrood.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk