HW: Clones (was Live tracks)

Johan Edlundh johan.edlundh at HABO.MAIL.TELIA.COM
Mon Dec 21 15:47:23 EST 1998

At 23:10 1998-12-20 GMT, you wrote:
>Johan Edlundh writes with an air of cynical sarcasm:

apoligies. was just too inspired, I guess...
now I feel better.

[a few lines deleted to spare some bandwidth]

>> "Stockholm Appearance"
>> (dec '98, Sweden - CD Recordable, only five copies made)
>>
>> Well,
>> Am I in this time..?
>
>Sadly I don't think you'll have much of a market for 9 Acid Daze tracks
>and 2 live in Stockholm ones - not to mention the fact that your
>Hawkwind Passport will probably be confiscated by the band the instant
>you set foot in this country (which reminds me - has anyone had their
>Passports returned yet?)
>
>However your two live tracks are duly listed - never fear!
>
>But for heavens sake - it's just a list!   I actually find it rather
>interesting to know which versions of (say) Ghost Dance are live and
>which are studio and what the different dates are - the style of the
>track differs fundamentaly depending on which band members are
>performing on it and there are definitely some periods of Hawkwind I
>prefer than others and will listen to by choice!
>
>But that's just my preference and I'm therefore helping to make this
>listing because it is of interest to me.  But I don't expect everyone
>will feel quite so interested so I have no doubt that there will in
>due course be a "Komplete" listing for those who Kare about such things
>and a reduced version to assist the curious with legit and available
>releases.    That's the way of things.
>
>But I'm sorry if the idea of making the list upsets you - if you prefer,
>whenever I mail on the topic I'll put something into the header of any
>messages as a warning that any mail with that in will be discussing it
>- or if you feel it necessary I shall refrain from posting any
>further mentions of it at all.
>
>jill

I might went a bit too far in my urge to lobby off the CD-R's from every
known list - but it was never meant to be personal to you, Jill.

I just wanted to make completely clear how I look at the CD-R's - and that's
exactly how I look at home taped Compact Cassettes. With the right equipment
*everyone* can make he's or she's favorite little compilation - in the
quantity of one, five, or twentyfive. Or whatever. And noone cares about
cassettes...

The vinyl media is different, as you first make a master record - then press
the copies. And if you want to make any profit of your work effort at all,
you have to press it in a minimum of 250 copies. The same goes for Real CD's
- when you're about to press them, you don't stop at 7, 12 or 19 because
that would be a completely waste of time, sweat and money. You press 500.
Pronto.
This difference between the media is what my lobbying is about. I want to
see a drawn line between those different medias. If you're about to make a
list, use information of a media that it's likely people have a chance to see.

It isn't the idea of making a list that's upsetting me - I like keeping
track of things by myself - it's why people keeps caring about the CD-R's...
Substancial information of this particular CD-R "Time of the Hawklords" has
been mentioned one time (jan 1997) on this mailing list, and since then -
nothing new. The story was that someone has made the equivalent to five home
taped Compact Cassettes, and then managed to give/sell/trade one copy to a
list member. Who had cared if it had been a cassette copy of Weird 104 +
additional tracks? Why do we care now?
Don't Understand.

I am one person who has mentioned this release since then - and it's maybe
because of me this ball has rolled thus far. Now I'm trying to repair my
mistake.

I must also add to this discussion, that I have very hard times to let the
excellent Nova Drive series stay on the other side of my newly drawn line.

peace, brothers and sisters,
and may the Mighty Hawk forgive me.
chmod 4555 .joe (the sticky bit)

>> btw,
>> I've got four ultra rare CD-R bootlegs left, that is for trade. there is
>> "never before released" live material on this Hawkwind bootleg.
>> I'm looking for the Mind Journey acetate, but a few BBC Transcripion Discs
>> can I also find use for. reply off list, thank you - but do it now. tomorrow
>> can it be too late.

sorry to those of you that has replied to me off list, and offering your new
married wives, your komplete kollection of Yuri Gagarins, and your
neighbour's barking dog - under threat of having the hawkwind passport
confiscated I've deleted all five CD-R copies of "Stockholm Appearance"
immediately. Yes, I even managed to catch the postman, steal the Tawn
parcel, and escape by hitting top left button.