HW: Alan Davey's "Sci-fi-delic" CD-R

Stephen Swann swann at PLUTONIA.COM
Wed Dec 23 14:45:27 EST 1998

Andreas Stuewe writes:

> Carl Edlund Anderson schrieb:
> >      I was horrified to discover that the copies of the Alan
> > Davey Sci-fi-delic CD-R which I bought on his autumn tour have
> > degraded to the point where my CD player won't even read some
> > of the tracks, and there is terrible noise everywhere.  Anyone
> > else have this problem?  Since I got one of these to send to Scott
> > Heller, I'd rather like to replace them.  Anyone know a contact
> > address for ordering stuff from Alan?
>
> My Sci-fi-delic CD-R plays correct & soundwise it is quite good, at least there
> are no noises. The label pasted on the CD is loosening though. There were only
> 300 copies made. Alan has no e-mail address, only a box number:
> PO Box 38, Honiton, Devon EX14 9YW.

Some CD-R's have proven to be highly "degradable" (especially the
green-backed ones, from what I've read).  And all of them are delicate
on the label side - if the wrong kind of glue is used to stick a label
to them, it can eat through the back of the CD and dissolve the data
layer.  Apparently CD-RW is much more robust.

Steve
swann at plutonia.com