OFF: Roger Taylor

mjt wilco at WYBBS.MI.ORG
Fri Dec 25 11:34:28 EST 1998

>Hello, Folks...
>
>Sorry to be so blatantly off-topic, but I really am not tuned in with the
>Queen world (let's not start *that* again, please), and Mr. Taylor is
pretty
>much an unknown quantity here as a solo artist...sorry to say.  So you'all
>are my best hope.  :)
>
>So, assuming *someone* here is in the know, I'd like to know a bit about
his
>newest solo album, "Electric Fire."  Mainly, is it good enough to shell out
>the $23 plus postage to pick up the import CD?  (I've seen an online
>interview in which he *says* he intends to work out a US release
eventually,
>but who knows when or if that'll ever happen.)
>

>From what I've gathered (being a US citizen myself and thus not finding
Electric Fire available at my 'local retailer') over on the Queen mailing
list, it's an excellent CD.  Brian May, the guitarist from Queen, just put
out a solo album as well, and some of the comments that came down were about
how much better Roger's was.  Anyway, one person compared it to Pink Floyd
(and as I recall was verbally berated by a few members following that)...
I've heard "Nation of Haircuts" live from his Cyberbarn gig, which brought
in the highest number of listeners of any online concert to date...  I think
that it's probably an awesome CD, but whether or not it's worth the $23 +
postage is another story.  Some of his older stuff, from the late 80's when
he was with The Cross is usually available at Circuit City, which is
probably as good as if not better than Electric Fire and much cheaper.
"Shove It," "Mad, Bad and Dangerous to Know" from The Cross or "Happiness?"
solo are good albums.

Anyway, just my two (or possibly less) cents.

mjt
--
"The bank balance was Noel Constant's share
  in the estate of his anarachist father.  The estate