HW: Distand Horizons/Dave Brock etc

LN1GJT Guy.Thomas at LONDON.ENTOIL.COM
Mon Feb 2 11:48:49 EST 1998

Hi rj,

Great things these discussion lists!  Sorry man, didn't mean to get personal in
my response to your posting at all - I hope I didn't offend you - that was far
from the intention, it was meant to be a general response.

Having met Doug on many occasions, I regard him as one of my friends, I thought
I would stand-up for him, as anybody would for their friends, since he is not a
subscriber to the list.

>hi Guy,
>not a personal issue at all, but since this was posted in direct reponse to my
>post, i feel i need to respond.
>i said nothing that didnt come first hand, while my wife was trying to make
>travel
>arrangements for a band that was growing increasingly worried about said
>arrangements. dave called her during one of the studio recording sessions, and
>said what i posted.  and while doug is obviously doing a fine job in the
>capacities
>you mentioned, he DOES act as manager. who was it who mediated the whole US
>tour
>from england?  Doug.

Well-volunteered on organising the US tour indeed! I'd bet that if you
considered doing it on a full time basis, Doug would be really pleased , as he
would dearly love to have a full-time tour-manager/organisrer. I know he wants
to devote his time to the releases. He (and more so, Eve) actually do put in
long hours over travel and other tour arrangements, you should be in their
office on a typical day - organised chaos - and I know it gets them down!

> ive spoken to doug a few times, and he seems like a nice person. that doesnt
>mean that HW might not be a little better off making a few more of their
>decisions for themselves. I don't pretend to know the way things work over
>there, but i do know that doug does make bigger decisions than when and by
>whom album-x is going to be released.

Agreed - I know that Doug would love the band to make a few more decisions for
themselves!

>i wouldnt say the album's wishy-washiness has anything to do with doug. i
>still firmly believe it was a time-issue, compounded by the recent changes
>within the band, as i have said before.

Agreed again! - I know that the band were pissed-off with the cover to DH, and
Doug got the blame for that one (as commented on at the UK London gig!). I
don't really know where the blame lies for the cover, but as Dave B. said
himself, it looks like a gravestone! As to the wishy-washiness to the content I
wholly agree. As I said in  a previous posting, the four great tracks should
have been released as an EP, and then it would have been acclaimed as a huge
success, a milestone in the Hawkhistory - just like the Earth ritual EP was
back in 1984.

I mixed a promo video of Love-in-Space with Doug and a chap called Tony
Korlander, which probably won't see the light of day now, (shame really 'cos it
is superb!), but if you look at the texture of the front cover of DH, and the
picture disc of Love-in-Space, and the video, you'll see that there is a common
theme and the whole lot takes on a different perspective - suddenly thr cover
of DH is acceptable again! Hastle somebody somewhere to get the released, as my
only other contribution to HW vid releases was the Brixton 1992 show, and I
feel a bit embarassed by that one.

Keep on Hawkin' and sleep well (you'll be in the land of nod when you get this)

Guy T.