OFF: Fw: weird facts - bollocks more like.

Tue Feb 3 10:07:06 EST 1998

> From:          Hardman DK <D.K.Hardman at CITY.AC.UK>
> >
> > What's wrong with strippers, anyway?!
>
> I think the slightly less lurid truth is that Betty Boothroyd was once in
> a chorus line.

Who gives a flyin' fuck if she WAS a stripper?  The provinciality and
narrow-mindedness I see on Rock music listserves never ceases to blow
my mind!  And it's usually put forth by young people!  Whatever
became of the youth who wanted to push the envelope, to puncture the
stuffiness of social propriety?  Christian, where are ya when we need
you?  You must be dying of shame to see the views of other
youngsters?  Personally, I don't care if she used to be in porno.
Isn't there an Italian congresswoman who used to do porno [maybe it
was soft-core?]?  Glad to see some parts of the world aren't hung up
on what people wish to do with their bodies!

> I'm not an expert on the commons, but the Speaker does have more to do
> than shout "order"; she selects who gets to speak from the multitudes
> waving their papers in the air - this isn't necessarily a random selection
> as certain people will have more important contributions to make, and it
> is her business to know who these people are; she also rules on whether
> certain items of business are allowed to be added to the agenda (from time
> to time an MP will demand an unscheduled debate about some crisis or
> other); she also gets to arbitrate on constitutional matters, such as the
> recent controversy as to whether or not Sinn Fein's MPs were to be allowed
> into the commons without swearing allegiance to the crown. Probably other
> stuff besides....she seems very well respected, and this doesn't happen
> just because you know how to shout.

I think the whole point of the speaker not being able to 'speak' is
that she is thus supposedly not beholden to either party.
Personally, I'd be happy as hell if our Speaker in the states wasn't
allowed to speak at all...

theo