OFF: Fw: weird facts - bollocks more like.

Wed Feb 4 06:38:24 EST 1998

> From:          Jon Browne <jon at COMICS.DEMON.CO.UK>
> In article <SIMEON.9802041423.G at cc52.pub.brad.ac.uk>, Nick Widdows
> <N.Widdows at BRADFORD.AC.UK> writes
> >Sorry, I call it how I see it. Nothing wrong with
> >strippers, but is a position of (sort of) power a good
> >idea? On the other hand....
>

> What? WHAT? What, in fact, the f..?
>
> Yes, it's a good idea!  It's a great idea to have people who aren't
> screwed up in positions of power. That's why I like people like Tony
> Banks. (But seeing as the interests of those who govern are in reality
> so wildly different to the interests of those being governed it's
> probably for the best that many in power are such inneffectual farts.)
>
> Not that I'm particularly interested in Parliamentary prodedure, leaning
> more to Anarcho-liberalism, but Boothroyd strikes me as intelligent and
> as having integrity. I think you might re-appraise your critia for
> judging people's value, Nick. The woman has been Parliamentary Speaker
> for several years now. In what way do you feel her performance could
> have been improved? How do you feel her past has affected her work?
> What precisely draws you to cast aspersions? I'm intrigued.
>
> Not that this has a lot to do with HW in the first place. Funny place
> for moralising, BOC-L. I thought the place was full of 'ippies myself.

Way to go Jon!  I find all sorts of political conservatism [American
style, that is] on the net, esp. in music newsgroups.  I would have
figured there to be a lot of 'ippies, but I guess it isn't the case.
Could be the demographics are a bit skewed due to the fact that
'ippies maybe aren't so drawn to computer-based jobs?
theo