OFF: Fw: weird facts - bollocks more like.

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Wed Feb 4 23:31:41 EST 1998

On Wed, 4 Feb 1998, Ted Jackson jr. 6L6 wrote:

> Way to go Jon!  I find all sorts of political conservatism [American
> style, that is] on the net, esp. in music newsgroups.  I would have
> figured there to be a lot of 'ippies, but I guess it isn't the case.
> Could be the demographics are a bit skewed due to the fact that
> 'ippies maybe aren't so drawn to computer-based jobs?

Actually, I've observed a drift *towards* political conservatism
("American style", as you say) the longer I've actively been on the
Internet (about 10 years and counting).  I attribute this to more
"normal everyday plain honest folk" getting online, who, it is probably
fair to say, are at odds somewhat with the "old guard" Internet users
that spawned such egalitarian endeavours and projects as GNU, FSF, LPF,
Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Emacs, etc. etc.  (Anyone remember the
brouhaha when AOL opened its Internet gateway, and the tangible changes
thereafter?)

Whereas the "old days" were of the "free and open" ethos, nowadays lots
of folks are just out to try and make a buck off the Internet.  If
anything, the original user base (of predominantly people in
"computer-based jobs") skewed the demographics *towards* a more 'ippy
ideal---IMHO, of course.

Cheers,

Paul.

obCD: Govt. Mule, _Live at Roseland Ballroom_

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

"I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time"
        --- James Marshall Hendrix