HW: Your captain is dead...

Keith Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Tue Feb 10 15:10:49 EST 1998

Bernhard says...

>>Well, this contradicts the "official" gig list, but I read somewhere (I
>>think it may have been the first Record Collector article on Hawkwind from
>>1985) that the Hawkwind performance from Glastonbury was not used because
>>Dave Brock isn't on it!  Apparently it was one of those gigs where he was
>>the member of Hawkwind too tripped-out to stand up, let alone play, so Thom
>>Crimble (of Skin Alley, and former HW bassist) filled in on guitar for the
>>gig.  Since "Silver Machine" and "Welcome" were left over from the
>>Roundhouse recording, and not used on the 'Greasy Truckers' set, they were
>>used on the 'Glastonbury Fayre' release.  Can anyone verify this
>>(Bernhard?!?), or am I just repeating an unsubstantiated urban myth?
>
>I didn't read about it. But fact is that Dave couldn't play the Glastonbury
>gig on 23.06.1971 because he was ill. The lineup was: CB/OL/TU/DE/CA

If that means CrimBle/OLlis/TUrner/DEttmar/CAlvert, then Crimble must've
played both bass & guitar simultaneously.  :)  Perhaps Dave Anderson was
there as well???

Keith H. (FAA)

P.S.  I didn't realise Calvert performed with HW this early.  When was his
first on-stage performance?